Applications for the 2022-2023 academic year are now being accepted with a September 1st deadline for Fall and December 1st deadline for Spring.
The Junior SeaKeepers Program is officially accepting applications for Fall and Spring of the 2022-2023 academic year!
The Junior SeaKeepers Program is an opportunity for students in grades 10 – 12 to get hands-on experience with oceanographic research while educating the local community about marine conservation issues. Students will learn about marine science topics from local experts while receiving training in conducting scientific research and science communication. The goal of this program is to give young ocean ambassadors the tools to not only understand the problems that face our oceans but to make a difference on a large scale. Read more about our Educational Outreach activities on our website www.seakeepers.org.
Junior SeaKeepers will have opportunities to:
- Spend time on Biscayne Bay, while learning how to conserve the ecosystems.
- Act as leaders at community cleanups.
- Receive community service hours for all cleanups and webinars attended.
- Present their research findings to peers and parents.
Junior SeaKeepers will learn about:
- The marine environment through webinars with local experts.
- The scientific method through hands-on research.
- The art of science communication and effective storytelling through creative projects.
Junior SeaKeepers will also receive:
- A certificate, indicating completion of the program.
- Community service hours for beach cleanups, webinars, and floating classroom outings.
- A SeaKeepers “Swag Bag” (that includes a T-shirt, a reusable water bottle, metal straws, etc).
Ready to apply?
The Junior SeaKeeper Program runs from October to December, and from January to April. Applications are open now for both semesters, with applications due to [email protected] on September 1st (for fall applicants) and December 1st (for spring applicants).
Learn more about the program by downloading the brochure or applying by downloading the application below and sending it to [email protected]!